100g unsalted butter
1tsp lemon juice
50g Demerara sugar
100g Demerara sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon
100g salted butter
- peel, core and cube the pears and throw into a bowl with the lemon juice (this will prevent the lemons oxidising).
- place the biscuits in a carrier bag and beat the bejesus out of them on a hard surface with a rolling pin until they become crumbs.
- melt the butter in a heavy saucepan on a low-medium heat, when it starts to bubble add the biscuit crumb, sugar and cinnamon and stir continuously for a couple of minutes.
- Once the crumble is warmed through empty it into a mixing bowl.
- To assemble take a large oval gratin dish and chuck the pears piece in; douse with the brandy, dot with the unsalted butter and scatter with the cloves and sugar.
- Top with the crumble mixture, and set aside covered with a tea towel in a cool, dry place until ready to serve.
- To serve place on the middle rack of a hot oven (around 200 degrees) for 10-15 minutes until the top starts to brown and the edges start to bubble.
- Serve with single cream or good quality vanilla ice cream.